Tuesday, September 2, 2008

goodbye to plastic bags

I love to shop!

Whether it’s at the market or at the mall. Finding little treasures such as heirloom tomatoes or a pair of heels on sale is something that excites me. However, I used to pay little attention to the effects of my shopping habits on the planet. Every time I buy something I usually bring it home in a plastic bag. Even though I shove these bags under my kitchen sink with the plan to reuse them (lunch sacks, small trash can bags, etc.) I find it difficult to keep up with the ever-flowing pile, and eventually I throw them out. Apparently I am not the only with this constant battle. Every year an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide, and billions end up as litter each year. The problem with this litter is that plastic bags aren’t biodegradable. They just break up into smaller, more toxic pieces. These small bits of plastic bags kill hundreds of thousands of sea turtles, whales, and other marine mammals because they mistake it for food. How awful! So, I’ve decided that I am going to carry reusable bags out with me on shopping trips. Many stores sell them (earthpure organics, reusablebags.com, Wal-Mart) because they too what to encourage us to help our environment. Now I have another excuse to shop! I love purses because they make a statement, now my grocery bag will too!

http://www.reusablebags.com/facts.php

audrey - sales

No comments: